National Dog Day was created in 2004 by Colleen Paige, a pet lifestyle expert and author, who believed that dogs deserved more honor and respect than humans gave them on a regular day-to-day basis! I totally concur with this idea!
The organization and holiday also believes in educating yourself on the breed that you are thinking about living with, researching local pure-breed rescues and shelters, and then adopting your future furry family member! They are also pro-any breed! If you check out their website, they are providing discounts on all dog related flower arrangements at 1800 Flowers, as well as giving away a free iPhone app ShakyPlanet.
So, the real question is, How are you celebrating this most awesome day? Some options include:
- Volunteer with a dog rescue in your area
- Donate blankets, toys, food, ect to your local animal shelter
- Donate money to a dog in need
- Spend some extra, quality time with your own pup
- Bake a special something for that beloved fluffy one
- Vow to walk your buddy everyday, no matter how tired you are or what the weather is like
- Take a few minutes to create a DIY pull-toy
- Host a BBQ and invite all your friends and furry ones to celebrate
- Sign up for pet CPR class
I hope you have a wonderful National Dog Day! But make sure to give your Mammas and Daddies a big hug and smooch because you are some lucky pups!