Image Map

Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Million Plus One Dogs ;-)

"A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk."  ~O.A. Battista

Happy Sunday Everyone!!

Well, this morning Domeek and I woke up super duper early, dragged ourselves to the car, and drove up to San Francisco's McLaren Park for the Million Dog March!!

Freckles the Dog

We got there a half an hour before the event started...and there was already a crazy crowd!

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

My registration number was 749, so even though I haven't heard the final count, you can guess how many pups were there this morning!!

I took the opportunity to have a little meet and greet time with my fellow competitors before the "race" actually started!

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

Around ten o'clock, the Emcee announced that it was time to get up to the Start line...

Freckles the Dog

but we were so close to the front that it was hard to see how many competitors were behind us! They began to play the Rocky theme song...the cow bell was rung...and we were oooooofffffff!!

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

The course was three miles long and consisted of gravel, cement, grass, steep hills, water, narrow trails, and lots of people and dogs to walk around! ;-)

Freckles the Dog
This was the crowd ahead of us...

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog
...and this was the crowd behind us!!

Not only were there fabulous smells to sniff, but there were also spectacular sights to be seen by the humans (even with the typical San Francisco fog)!

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

Since I'm not the greatest distance walker, Domeek and I were both a little worried that I might not be ecstatic with the terrain and length, but I am happy to state that I paced myself well, and stayed with the group the entire course!

Freckles the Dog
Check out my twin!!!

Freckles the Dog

Freckles the Dog

It was only right before the last two turns that I started to slooooow down...I kept looking at Domeek hoping that she might pick me up, but she told me "Nope, we're almost there...you can do it!" So, I sucked it up and carried on!

Freckles the Dog
Turn One...

Freckles the Dog
Turn Two...

Freckles the Dog
Finish Line!!!!

Thank Dog...I made it!!!!!

One hour to the minute after starting the race, I was practically sprinting to the finish line! ;-)

Freckles the Dog

After a long drink, a couple of treats from vendors, and a quick pee break...Domeek and I took one last photo and then headed over to Peet's for coffee, where I immediately fell asleep and power napped until we arrived back home!

Freckles the Dog

It was an incredibly fun Sunday and, even if we didn't break the Guinness world record, it was still amazing to see all those dogs and their humans, getting along, and out together on a fantastic walk!

Hope that you all had a fabulous day too!!  

18 comments:

  1. Wowzers Goose that is a lot a lot of dogs and their peeps. What a great event. And I am very proud of you buddy, making is all the way and even sprinting to the finish line. Good for you. Now you can take a propper nap.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a lot of dogs!! Looks like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great day out! And congratulations on going the distance. We love days like that. So many new friends to meet.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMD!! You guys had the bestest weather for it today!!! Wasn't it gorgeous?! You did just FABulous Goose!! You and Domeek paced yourselves well! You should be very proud. I do love that you gots to walk with your 'twin' for a while! hehehe
    Kisses,
    Ruby
    pees: sweet dreams....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! Was it a charity event or just a happy reason to be outside on a beautiful day? The views are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you'll forget about the World's record-they always get broken anyway. You guys looked better than the Bay-to-Breakers entries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We wish we could have been there with you!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo Goose you made it to the finish line. Wow that was some crowd. It looks like there were a 1000 plus. Pawsome event. You well deserved your power nap. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - look at all those dogs! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Freckles!! We're so very proud of you buddy!
    Wally & Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so proud of you freckles ...and proud of your mom too...well done and congrats to both of you. You finished and had so much fun doing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job!! 3 miles is a BIG walk for a little dog, I know. I am so glad you had a great time.
    *high paws*
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, there were so many pups there! What a cool event! And you did such a great job keeping up on that long walk; I bet Domeek was awfully proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome Goose! You did great!!! That's a long walk for ya! You should get a special little Goose Medal we thought and surely a REALLY good treat too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that was quite a long walk! At least there were beautiful sights, lots of smells, and plenty of friends. I can't believe how long that line of people was. I bet you really enjoyed that nap afterwards.
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Goose,

    Wow, that's a lot of Dogs and people! Congratulations on making it the whole way!

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a lot of dogs and their people. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete